Tuesday 28 September 2010

Cook Island Marinated Raw Fish Salad (Ika Mata)

I was born in Rarotonga, Cook Islands.  My parents were there on Government business for a few years, but by the time I was six months old we had returned to New Zealand.  I went there on holiday when I was in my early 20's and felt I had found an island paradise.  Simply beautiful.  This is a festive dish, enjoyed throughout the Cook Islands.

Ingredients
  • 1kg firm white fish (snapper, cod)
  • 6 lemons, to make 120ml lemon juice plus extra to cover 
  • 1 grated carrot 
  • 4 chopped spring onions 
  • three tomatoes, halved and sliced lengthwise
  • 200ml coconut milk
  • Pepper and salt 
  • Mixed salad leaves  
Method
  • Chop fish into bite sized pieces (1cm thick) and cover with fresh lemon juice. 
  • Cover with the lemon halves and refrigerate over night, stirring occasionally. 
  • Remove and drain from lemon juice and mix with the remaining ingredients.
  • Stir in some fresh lemon juice to coat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve slightly chilled over mixed salad leaves.